Continental Iron Works

Allgemeines

FirmennameContinental Iron Works
OrtssitzBrooklyn (New York)
OrtsteilGreenpoint
StraßeColyer Street
Art des UnternehmensEisengießerei
AnmerkungenEigentümer: Thos. F. Rowland. Adresse: Foot of Colyer Street, Greenpoint. Der "Original Monitor" wurde drch Captain Ericcson entwickelt.
Quellenangaben[Wiley: American iron trade manual (1874) 68] [Scientific American: Anzeige]




Unternehmensgeschichte

Zeit Ereignis
1859 Gründung




Produkte

Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Baugußeisen 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] Vorgabe: Bauguß
Dampfmaschinen   [Scientific American: Anzeige]     "of various sizes" (Teil nicht eindeutig lesbar) "well adapted for the requirements of the Southern market"
Eisenbrücken 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] Vorgabe: iron bridges
Gasbehälter 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] Vorgabe: Gasbehälter
Gasbehälter 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] Vorgabe: Gasbehälter
Gußeisen 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] Vorgabe: Iron foundry
Lokomobilen   [Scientific American: Anzeige]     "of various sizes" (Teil nicht eindeutig lesbar) "well adapted for the requirements of the Southern market"
Reismühlen   [Scientific American: Anzeige]      
Sägemühlen   [Scientific American: Anzeige]      
Zuckermühlen   [Scientific American: Anzeige]      




Personal

Zeit gesamt Arbeiter Angest. Lehrl. Kommentar
1874 1500        




Allgemeines

ZEIT1874
THEMAAngaben zum Unternehmen
TEXTThis works is notable as having built the original Monitor, which was designed and superintended by Captain Ericcson, the noted Swedish inventor, but which was constructed under the personal supervision of the proprietor of the works. This vessel may be said to have demonstrated the use of iron-clad turreted vessels of war, and to have decided the use of this system of naval offensive and defensive vessels. Several others of the iron-clad fleet were also built for the government at this works, which was of great value to the nation during the war. The works is extensive, covering a large area, and thoroughly equipped with machinery. The force employed when running full is near 1,500 men, a large number being employed outside in erecting gas holders and machinery, now the specialty of the concern. In this line a very extensive trade is done, work having been done for most of the gas companies of New England. The Continental Works are located near the Tenth Street ferry to New York, at the junction of West and Colyer Streets. The premises have a frontage of 300 feet on West Street, extend along Colyer Street a distance of 800 feet to the East River, and have wharf room for the simultaneous accommodation of several vessels of the heaviest tonnage. The water front constitutes a spacious ship yard, and the remainder of the area is covered with buildings devoted to manufacturing and storage purposes. Among the principal buildings are the foundry, 75x225 feet in area, containing two furnaces, one capable of melting 25, the other 30 tons of iron daily; the machine shop, measuring 60x150 feet, and perfectly equipped with machinery of the best construction for the execution of heavy work; the pattern shop, a three-story structure, 50x200 feet in area; the engine and boiler house, storehouses, etc. The machinery is driven by an engine of 125 horse power, and the general equipment of the entire establishment embraces all the latest improvements in machinery and mechanical appliances for the production of first-class work of the heaviest description. The best quality of American iron is exclusively used. A force of nearly 1,500 workmen is required when the establishment is in full operation, and every facility exists for expediting their labor. A prominent specialty at this establishment is the manufacture of the various castings pertaining to the erection of iron buildings, bridges, viaducts, etc. Columns, girders, trusses, roofs, dooring, shutters and other parts of buildings are furnished in any quantity and of any dimensions, or contracts are taken for the construction of iron buildings complete, railway bridges, etc. A fine sample of iron roofing from these works can be seen on the splendid building erected by the Connecticut Mutual Life Insurance Co., at Hartford, Conn. - Another and most admirable piece of work was the construction of the immense aqueduct which brings the Croton water across High Bridge to New York city. This gigantic tube is made of wrought iron, put together in sections, its diameter being 7 1/2 feet and its entire length 1,400 feet. Many other public works and noted buildings, wholly or partially constructed at this establishment, might be named, but the above will suffice to give a general idea of the character of the work performed. The ship building department, and the manufacture of wrought and cast iron constructions generally, were established about fifteen years ago, and have gradually expanded to their present importance. About eight years since there was added the construction and erection of gas work apparatus of every description, and upon any desired scale of magnitude. Everything connected with the manufacture and distribution of gas, such as holders, retorts, tanks, engines, boilers, condensers, exhausters, purifiers, governors, scrubbers, stop valves, etc., is furnished to order with the utmost expedition and upon the most moderate terms. Plans and specifications are made and estimates given for the entire gas work plant requisite for cities, towns, manufactories, public edifices and private dwellings, and contracts are entered into for the prompt performance of the entire work. Special attention is given to the manufacture of steam engines for the use of gas works. One of the finest specimens of this class of machinery ever built may be seen in operation at the works of the Nassau Gas Company, Brooklyn, N. Y. It is of twenty-five horse power and runs so noiselessly that one may stand close beside it and detect no sound from its swiftly moving and perfect mechanism. The largest gas holder in the United States was built at the Continental Works, for the New York Gas Co. It is 70 feet high and 168 feet in diameter, and contains 1,500,000 cubic feet. For the Nassau Gas Co. of Brooklyn complete works have been erected, with capacity for the daily supply of 1,000,000 cubic feet of gas. The holder differs from the usual mode of construction, by being enclosed in a brick building, the advantage of this arrangement consisting in lessened damage from exposure, and freedom from the danger of being upset by accumulation of snow. A contract is now in process of fulfilment with the Union Gas Co. at Harlem for complete apparatus, to manufacture 2,000,000 cubic feet. This establishment has supplied a large amount of gas apparatus for the New York Gas Light Co., Brooklyn Gas Light Co., People's Gas Works, Albany; also for companies in Troy, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, and the leading New England cities, including Boston, Providence, Manchester, Springfield, Lawrence, Charlestown, Dorchester, New Bedford, etc. The proprietor, Mr. Thos. F. Rowland, himself a very thorough mechanic, has lately invented an improvement on gas machinery which has attracted great attention both here and in England. This is a combination of machinery for elevating and transporting coal, coke, or other materials, and for the charging and discharging of gas retorts, as applied to the manufacture of illuminating gas.
QUELLE[Wigley: Iron industry (1874)]