Curtis & Co. Manufacturing Company

Allgemeines

FirmennameCurtis & Co. Manufacturing Company
OrtssitzSaint Louis (Missouri)
StraßeNinth Street
Art des UnternehmensMaschinenfabrik
AnmerkungenInsgesamt 1 Lokomotive gebaut. Bezug zu "M. & E. C. Curtis & Co." (s.d.) unbekannt. 1892: Verwaltung: vor 1892: 817 und 819 North Second Street, dann Washington Avenue. Werke bis 1891 vorübergehend an den Ninth und Monroe Streets, danach neue Werke an den Lucas Avenue und Twenty-second Streets (diese als zweigeschossige Ziegelbauten, Größe 150 x 150 feet). [Katalog No. 13]: Manufactured by "Curtis Saw & Saw-mill Mchy. Co., operated by "Curtis & Co. Mfg. Co."; können auch Dampfmaschinen und Lokomobilen liefern (Eigenbau unsicher).
Quellenangaben[Pen and sunlight sketches of Saint Louis (1892) 100] http://www.nber.org/data/industrial-production-index/tech.pdf [Saw mill machinery, Katalog Nr. 13 (um 1905)]
Hinweise[Saw mill machinery, Katalog Nr. 13 (um 1905)]: Werksabbildung




Unternehmensgeschichte

Zeit Ereignis
1854 Gegründet durch Curtis & Company
1876 Eingetragen unter der Firma "Curtis & Co. Manufacturing Company" mit einem eingezahlten Kapital von $50.000
1878 John Stuart wird Sekretär der Gesellschaft
1891 I. G. W. Steedman, der Präsident der Gesellschaft (aus South Carolina stammend), wird zum Nachfolger von Oscar Bradford gewählt, dessen Anteil er erwirbt, desgleichen den von R. P. Johnson, der Vizepräsident war.
Okt. 1891 Umzug in die neue Fabrik zwischen Washington Avenue und Lucas Avenue




Produkte

Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Dampflokomotiven 1896 Beginn 1896 Ende Insgesamt 1 Lokomotive gebaut.




Betriebene Dampfmaschinen

Bezeichnung Bauzeit Hersteller
Dampfmaschine vor 1892 unbekannt
Dampfmaschine vor 1892 unbekannt
Dampfmaschine vor 1892 unbekannt




Allgemeines

ZEIT1892
THEMABeschreibung
TEXTOne of the great established industries of St. Louis is that of the Curtis & Co. Manufacturing Company, which has recently enlarged its capital and removed to more extensive and splendidly equipped works, where it can cope with the growing demand for its saws, sawmills and sawmill machinery. The business was founded in 1854 by Messrs. Curtis & Company, who early developed an enviable reputation for the superiority of their product. In 1876 the important interests were duly incorporated under the existing title of the Curtis & Co. Manufacturing Company, with a paid-up capital of 50,000. Under its exceptionally able executive guidance, the company made rapid and substantial progress, and had to repeatedly enlarge its facilities. Eventually in 1891, it was reorganized with an increased capital of 150,000 and has just completed its removal (October, 1891) into larger and more desirable premises, comprising a two-story brick building 140x137 feet in dimensions, and extending from Washington avenue to Lucas avenue. On the opposite side of Lucas avenue has been erected by them a substantial and well-built boiler house and saw factory, rendering the works the most complete and satisfactorily arranged of any in the United States, of the kind: The office and ware rooms were formerly for upward of sixteen years at No. 817 and 819 N. Second street, and are now entirely removed into the new premises on Washington avenue. The saw works are temporarily at Ninth and Monroe streets until the new works are completed on Lucas avenue and Twenty-second street. The Lucas avenue shops will be very extensive, being a two-story brick structure, 150x150 feet in dimensions; they were planned specially to meet the company's advanced requirements, and are fitted up in the most admirable manner, with all the modern improvements in machinery and tools specially designed for the manufacture of the company's celebrated patent ground extra tempered saws. The machine shops are equally complete in equipment, and afford employment to some sixty hands, while fifty are kept busy in the saw works. An eighty horse power engine supplies the motive force for the machine shop, while a 100 H. P. engine is used in saw factory and a fifteen horse power engine for running the dynamos, supplying a brilliant electric light to the entire premises. The company's saws have achieved an international celebrity for extra temper, durability, easy running powers; they have no equal, and are much preferred by leading mill men everywhere. The company does a trade of enormous magnitude in saws alone, while its portable and stationary sawmills are directly adapted to meet every requirement of the lumberman, whether for a permanent or removable outfit, at prices which cannot be duplicated elsewhere. Among specialties are improved gang edgers and lumber trimmers' lathe and felloe machines, shingle machines and full lines of wood-working machine tools of guaranteed efficiency. This is direct headquarters for engines and boilers of guaranteed strength and efficiency; both portable and stationary; for purest oak leather belting, rubber belting and saw and planning mill supplies generally. Mr. I. G. W. Steedman, the respected president of the company, is a native of South Carolina and was elected in 1891 as successor to Mr. Oscar Bradford, and whose interest he acquired, as well as that of Mr. R. P. Johnson, who was vice-president. Mr. J. H. Steedman, son of the present president and a native of St. Louis, has been appointed the vice-president and is a widely and favorably known young business man, specially qualified to give excellent service. Mr. John Stuart has been the secretary of the company since 1878, and became connected with the concern in 1876. He is a faithful and experienced officer. President Steedman is an influential business man of soundest judgment, and his assuming the guidance of the company is alone an adequate guarantee of the maintenance of its honorable policy, th at it will ever be found in the lead — the great World's Representative of saws, mill machinery and supplies, and all those interested should send at once for the company's large and fully illustrated descriptive catalogue.
QUELLE[Pen and sunlight sketches of Saint Louis (1892) 100]