William Cramp & Sons Ships & Engine Building Co.

Allgemeines

FirmennameWilliam Cramp & Sons Ships & Engine Building Co.
OrtssitzPhiladelphia (Penns.)
StraßePalmer Street
Art des UnternehmensSchiffs- und Maschinenbauanstalt
Anmerkungen1868: in der Richmond Street oberhalb Otis, erstreckt sich bis zum Delaware River; ferner Werft in der Penn Street. 1897: "Cramp's Ship Yard"; 32 acres Grundfläche, 15 acres bebaut, 1.543 Fuß Uferlinie am Delaware River; Derrik-Kran "Atlas" mit 130 t Last und 36 Feet Ausladung; 6.000 Beschäftigte; bezeichnet sich als die größte und vollständigste Schiffs- und Maschinenbauwerkstätte der westlichen Hemisphäre. 1900 in die Norris Street verlegt. Baute auch die großen Schlachtschiffe der nordamerikanischen Marine. Auch als "... Machine Building Co." bezeichnet.
Quellenangaben[Matschoß: Entw Dampfmaschine (1908) I, 254] [Lloyd's Schiffsregister] [Blue Book of Am. Shipping (1897) 399, Anzeige] [Pennsylvania and Centennial Exposition (1878) 76] [Hist. Am. Mfg 3 (1868) 65]




Unternehmensgeschichte

Zeit Ereignis
1830 Im Jahr 1830 gründet William Cramp in Philadelphia die Schiffs - und Maschinenbauanstalt (später: William Cramp & Sons.)




Produkte

Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Bergbaumaschinen 1897 [Blue Book of Am. Shipping (1897) 399] 1897 [Blue Book of Am. Shipping (1897) 399]  
Dampfkessel 1897 [Blue Book of Am. Shipping (1897) 399] 1897 [Blue Book of Am. Shipping (1897) 399] Wasserrohrkessel (Niklausse, Mosher, Yarrow)
Dampfschiffe 1830 Beginn (Gründung) 1897 [Blue Book of Am. Shipping (1897) 399]  
Kanonen 1897 [Blue Book of Am. Shipping (1897) 399] 1897 [Blue Book of Am. Shipping (1897) 399] Rapid guns and ammunition
Kriegsschiffe 1897 [Blue Book of Am. Shipping (1897) 399] 1897 [Blue Book of Am. Shipping (1897) 399] Battle ships, cruisers
Schiffsdampfmaschinen 1830 Beginn (Gründung) 1897 [Blue Book of Am. Shipping (1897) 399] jeder Art




Allgemeines

ZEIT1868
THEMAFirmenbeschreibung
TEXTTwo in number, are among the largest in this country, and equipped with all the implements and facilities necessary for building both iron and wooden vessels. The iron ship yard, located on Richmond street above Otis, extends from the former street to the Delaware river, and has an area of six hundred thousand square feet, with a river front of four hundred feet. The machine shop, forty by three hundred feet, contains some tools of unusual size, among which we «right instance the bending rolls, weighing over fifteen tons, and which will bend sheets of iron an inch thick and fourteen feet long, to a curve whose radius is three feet. This department also includes a large smith shop, and a furnace for bending angle iron frames without a blast. This furnace is thirty feet long, and diffuses equal heat throughout its whole length, thus obviating the objections of ordinary furnaces in which the iron is liable to be burnt at one extremity, while at the opposite it is Comparatively cool. As an instance of the facility possessed by this firm for rapidly executing work, it may be stated that an iron side wheel tow-boat, one hundred and sixty-five feet long, twenty-five feet beam in hull, was begun on the second day of January, and on February 6th, the plating was all riveted, and the vessel, costing sixty thousand dollars, ready for use on the 1st of March. About one hundred and fifty men are employed in the yard for constructing iron vessels. The other ship yard of this firm is located on Penn street, near the site of Penn's Treaty ground, and has a front on the river of three hundred feet, and a depth of eight hundred feet. A marine railway, capable of hauling up vessels of fifteen hundred tons, is in course of construction at this place, and when completed will cost about fifty thousand dollars. Here some of the largest and finest vessels in the merchant service were constructed. The "Bridgewater", of 1.525 tons, and which itus said was the largest merchant vessel ever constructed at this port, was built by this firm. Her length was two hundred and twenty feet, width of beam fifty feet, and depth of hold thirty feet. This vessel was launched fall rigged, a feat that, it is believed, was never before accomplished with a vessel of equal tonnage. This firm also constructed ten steamers, each one hundred and eighty-five feet long, for the Cuban trade, and which were found to be so superior for the purpose for which they were designed, that they entirely superseded side wheel vessels. Within the last four years this firm constructed a number of fine vessels for the United States Government. The "Ironsides", famous in the annals of the late Rebellion, was built by them at a cost of nine hundred thousand dollars. Her dimensions are two hundred and thirty-five feet in length, fifty-eight feet beam, and twenty-seven feet hold, and tonnage 3.250 tons. The "Chattanooga", one of four, of peculiar construction ordered,by the Navy Department, was built by this firm at a cost of a million of dollars. Her dimensions are three hundred and twenty-five feet in length, forty-six feet beam, and depth twenty-two feet three inches. The light draught monitor "Yazoo" was built here, in accordance with designs furnished by the Navy Department, but which, when the vessel was ready to be launched, were found to be so defective, that it involved the necessity of rebuilding. The light draught monitor "Tunxis" was also raised twenty-two inches, and rebuilt by this firm. Besides these may be mentioned the transports "Stanton", "Foote", "Welles", and "Porter", and the double ender, "Wyalusing", and others, costing in the aggregate five millions of dollars. During this period many vessels were also constructed for private parties, amounting in the aggregate to about fifty vessels, of various sizes, with a tonnage of twenty-five thousand tons. The firm is composed of William Cramp and his five sons, Charles, W. M. Cramp, S. H. Cramp, J. C. Cramp, Theo. Cramp. The senior partner has been identified with the pursuit for more than forty years, and advanced, by regular gradations, from a journeyman shipwright to a master builder. He constructed the first propeller tug-boat ever built in the United States. This was the "Sampson", which was used as a gunboat, during the late Rebellion, by the South.
QUELLE[Bishop: History of American manufacturers 3 (1868) 65]